A Nissl body, also known as Nissl or tigroid substance, is a large granular body found in neurons. This Nissl Stain Kit is designed for the detection of Nissl body in the cytoplasm of neurons on paraformaldehyde fixed frozen or vibratome tissue sections. This stain is commonly used for identifying the basic neuronal structure in brain or spinal cord tissue. The Nissl body will be stained purple-blue.
- VB-3010-1 Cresyl Violet Solution ————— 250 ml
- VB-3010-2 Alcohol/chloroform Solution —-250ml
- Mount frozen or vibratome sections on adhensive slides. Air dry sections or bake slides on slide warmer overnight.
- Place slides directly into 1:1 alcohol/chloroform overnight and then rehydrate through 100% and 95 % alcohol to distilled water. Notes: DON’T put frozen sections directly to water otherwise they will come off the slides. This is called de-fat step that will reduce background fat staining.
- Stain in Cresyl violet solution for 5-10 minutes.Notes: Staining in warmed cresyl violet solution (warm up in 37-50 ºC oven) can improve penetration and enhancing even staining. It is particularly beneficial for thicker (30 um) sections.
- Rinse quickly in distilled water.
- Differentiate in 95% alcohol for 2-30 minutes and check microscopically for best result.
- Dehydrate in 100% alcohol 2×5 min.
- Clear with 3 changes of xylene (5 minute per change).
- Mount coverslip onto glass slide with Permount or some other suitable organic mounting medium.
- Neuron (Nissl body) ————————– pink-violet
Note: This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
Precautions: Handle with care. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Do not ingest. Wear gloves.
User Manual and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) (PDF)