Oil Red O is a lysochrome diazo dye used for detecting neutral triglycerides and lipids in tissue. It is performed on fresh frozen tissue sections or cultured cells. Oil Red O Stain Kit is used for lipid and fat staining on formalin fixed frozen sections. It is not suitable for paraffin embedded tissue sections.
- VB-3007-1 Pre-Stain Solution ———————– 100 ml
- VB-3007-2 Oil Red O Solution ————————100 ml
- VB-3007-3 Differentiation Solution————— 100 ml
- VB-3007-4 Mayer’s Hematoxylin Solution —- 100 ml
- Cut frozen sections to 8 to10μm. Air dry the sections to the slides
- Fix in 10% buffered formalin for 20 mins at room temperature, briefly wash with running tap water for 3 mins.
- Place in Pre-Stain Solution for 2 mins
- Stain in pre-warmed Oil Red O solution for 8-10 minutes in 60 ºC oven
- Differentiate in pre-warmed Differentiation Solution for 2-5 minutes in 60 ºC oven
- Rinse in 2 water changes of distilled at room temperature.
- Lightly stain nuclei with Mayer’s Hematoxylin Solution for 5 dips
- Rinse with tap water for 3 mins
- Mount with aqueous mounting medium.
- Include a positive control
- Cryostat sections 8 to 10 microns for formalin fixed smears. Formalin fixation gives good results.
- Step 9 – Obviously, the section must not be taken through clearing solvents prior to mounting, as this will remove the lipid to be detected.
- Lipid…………………………….. red
Note: This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
Precautions: Handle with care. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Do not ingest. Wear gloves.