Alizarin Red Stain kit is used for identifying calcium in tissue sections. Calcium forms an alizarin red S-calcium complex in a chelation process. The reaction is not strictly specific for calcium, since magnesium, manganese, barium, strontium, and iron may interfere, but these elements usually do not occur in sufficient concentration to interfere with the staining.
- Alizarin Red Solution – 250 ml
The pH for kit is critical, so check pH if the solution has been stored for more than one month. Adjust the pH to 4.1~4.3 with 10% ammonium hydroxide if necessary.
- Deparaffinize and hydrate to 70% alcohol.
- Rinse rapidly in distilled water.
- Alizarin red S solution, 30 seconds to 5 minutes, checking microscopically for an orange-red color.
- Shake off excess dye, blot sections.
- Acetone, 20 dips.
- Acetone-xylene (1:1), 20 dips.
- Clear in xylene (5min x2).
- Mount in Mount coverslip onto glass slide with Permount or some other suitable organic mounting medium.
Calcium deposits: orange-red
Note: This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
Precautions: Handle with care. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Do not ingest. Wear gloves.