The acid-fast organism’s lipoid capsule demonstrates an affinity for carbol-fuchsin and withstands decolorization even after a dilute acid rinse. Mycobacteria’s lipoid capsule possesses such a high molecular weight that it exhibits a waxy consistency at room temperature, impeding the successful penetration of aqueous-based staining solutions like Gram’s stain. The VitroView™ ACID-FAST BACTERIA (AFB) STAIN Kit is specifically formulated for the demonstration of acid-fast bacteria within the ‘Mycobacterium’ genus, which encompasses the causative agent for tuberculosis.
|VB-2006-1||Carbol-Fuchsin Solution||125 ml|
|VB-2006-2||Acid Alcohol Solution||250 ml×2|
|VB-2006-3||Light Green Solution||125 ml|
- Slide Preparartion:
- For Paraffin Sections: Deparaffinize in Xylene I for 6 minutes and II for 6 minutes. Rehydrate: ethanol 100% (2 minutes)×2; ethanol 95% (2 minutes) ×2; ethanol 70% (2 minutes) ×1; Rinse in distilled water (5 minutes).
- For Smears/Imprints: Air-dry the smear.
- Carbol-fuchsin solution, microwave ( 80 power) for 45 seconds, allow slides to stand in hot solution for 5 minutes. Or Conventional Method: 60°C oven for 1 hour. Filter solution once a week
- Wash in running tap water.
- Acid alcohol until light pink and color stops running.
- Wash in running tap water for 5 minutes..
- Rinse in distilled water.
- light green solution for 30 seconds.
- Rinse in water.
- Rapidly dehydrate in absolute alcohol.
- Clear with 3 changes of xylene (5 minute per change).
- Mount coverslip onto a glass slide with Permount or some other suitable organic mounting medium
Acid-fast bacilli————- bright red
Background—————– Light green
Handle with care. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Do not ingest. Wear gloves.
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
User Manual and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) (PDF)